
Finally, I’ve found time to get Gordy’s blog started. I am so proud of my not-so-little-any-more boy!! Here we were, worried that he’d get jealous, or act up, or something, when Xani was born, (evicting Gordy from his position as only child, which he’d had for close to 8 years, and instead giving him the position of oldest child and big brother.), only to find out that (so far, at least) we have nothing to worry about. Gordy is most definitely a doting big brother who adores little Xander, and is constantly trying to find ways to join in and help Xani in many ways. Everything from changing a nappy (even dirty nappies…DESPITE saying, before Xani was born, that he’d NEVER change a nappy!! Now he practically BEGS me to be able to change his brother’s bum whenever he sees me heading for the bedroom and the changing mat), giving Xani his Gaviscon or a bottle of expressed milk, cuddling or just entertaining him if I need to go get something or wash my hands after changing his nappy etc, to helping with his bath, picking out a fresh outfit for him, buckling him into his car seat, or just bouncing Xani in the bouncer in front of the TV (usually til Xan falls asleep) while I get a few things done. He just seems to want to be THERE, doing as much as can to be a part of his brother’s upbringing. Something that is seriously soooo lovely to see, and that I really didn’t expect at all. Watching Gordy work hard at being the devoted big brother has taught me quite a lot about my son, plus helped make certain traits that I had already known were there, far more obvious. Gordy is very much turning into a responsible, loving, intelligent, caring, helpful big boy…almost over night! Sure, I knew he was a wonderful kid, but since Xani was born, Gordy’s really come into his own. Areas he’d had trouble with before (being part of a team, WANTING to be helpful, learning responsibility) are definitely areas where he’s gained strength lately. His sensitive side shows up regularly too with things like not wanting to hurt his little brother (causing him to sometimes be OVER gentle when cleaning Xani’s bum, which can be a bit frustrating), fretting when Xani refuses to settle, or worrying when Xani starts to slip when he’s holding him… a side I’d known for years was there, but am enjoying watching it blossom even further in his concern for his baby brother.
However, there are times I worry that his sensitive side and intelligence hinder him more than help him – especially when it comes to school bullying. Having been bullied at school myself, it’s not something I want to see him go through, but it’s happening, and nothing we’ve suggested seems to be helping stop it. He walks away, they follow. He tells a teacher, the bully gets a talking to but doesn’t have to even apologise if he/she doesn’t want to. He tries to stand up to them, and simply ends up with both being bullied AND getting in trouble with the teachers. *sigh* what’s a parent to do?? How do you stop kids picking on your children? It’s things like this that make home-schooling all too tempting, but I know he needs the social interaction and physical activities he gets at school, and with him being so full on, I don’t think I’d really have the patience to go stick with it. But it is very tempting!! At least if he was home-schooled, I’d be able to encourage the artistic talent I’m starting to see form, plus help him stretch his brain more than he’s getting at school. He’s doing pretty good at school, better than in previous years, but I know he could do a lot better if he was encouraged and taught in the right way. Sure, I don’t have a teaching degree, but I know my son enough to know he’s not being challenged enough. I think half the reason why he acts up so much is from sheer boredom. That, and not feeling very connected with his peers. Ugh! As I said, very tempting, but I doubt it would work in his favour. So, we’ll just have to keep trying to find ways to keep the bullies at bay, and keep up with the extra homework at home to try and challenge him. At least he’s gotten used to that now, and in some cases, actually seems to enjoy it.
However, there are times I worry that his sensitive side and intelligence hinder him more than help him – especially when it comes to school bullying. Having been bullied at school myself, it’s not something I want to see him go through, but it’s happening, and nothing we’ve suggested seems to be helping stop it. He walks away, they follow. He tells a teacher, the bully gets a talking to but doesn’t have to even apologise if he/she doesn’t want to. He tries to stand up to them, and simply ends up with both being bullied AND getting in trouble with the teachers. *sigh* what’s a parent to do?? How do you stop kids picking on your children? It’s things like this that make home-schooling all too tempting, but I know he needs the social interaction and physical activities he gets at school, and with him being so full on, I don’t think I’d really have the patience to go stick with it. But it is very tempting!! At least if he was home-schooled, I’d be able to encourage the artistic talent I’m starting to see form, plus help him stretch his brain more than he’s getting at school. He’s doing pretty good at school, better than in previous years, but I know he could do a lot better if he was encouraged and taught in the right way. Sure, I don’t have a teaching degree, but I know my son enough to know he’s not being challenged enough. I think half the reason why he acts up so much is from sheer boredom. That, and not feeling very connected with his peers. Ugh! As I said, very tempting, but I doubt it would work in his favour. So, we’ll just have to keep trying to find ways to keep the bullies at bay, and keep up with the extra homework at home to try and challenge him. At least he’s gotten used to that now, and in some cases, actually seems to enjoy it.
Anyways, time to load this up then go get dishes done.
No comments:
Post a Comment